Today i came across a rare situation where i was installing/ uninstalling few visual studio pluggins, i was not able to see any of the Visual studio project templates.
When you are trying to create a new project and When u do not see the VS2008 templates getting loaded ,just perform the below actions:
1. Event log: check in the events log under the Application section if u see any errors.Check if there are erros and says to run devenv.exe/installvstemplates.
2. Now do not run the devenv.exe/installvstemplates.
3. Delete the itemcache folders under :Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE
4. now open the vs command prompt and run devenv.exe/installvstemplates.
5. at this point the different project templates should be appearing.